Illustrate each reading level program structure to ensure the children have a solid understanding of each strategy before moving on to the next level. This timeline also helps the children to review their reading comprehension journey towards success. Here children are able to see their reading comprehension roadmap. The timeline will clearly show the child's progress and where they are at right now.
The timeline is broken down into five sections: CARS Pretest, STARS Lesson, CARS Benchmark, STARS Lesson and CARS Post Test.
- CARS Pretest: Complete the five Pretests in the CARS Series using CARS & STARS Online to diagnose strengths and weaknesses in the 12 reading comprehension strategies. Ideally complete one per day, as promptly as possible.
- STARS Lesson: After completing Pretest diagnostics based on the children's areas of need, six specific strategy lessons will be automatically recommended for the children to complete in order to remediate areas that need reinforcement. After the children complete these lessons, they may conclude the review lessons by answering 12 selected-response questions that focus on the specific reading strategies.
- CARS Benchmark: Complete the five Benchmark tests in the CARS & STARS Online to monitor the child's progress. Each Benchmark test requires between 45–60 minutes to complete and discuss. Benchmark tests do not need to be completed consecutively.
- STARS Lesson: Finish the remaining strategy lessons to build and reinforce the children’s basic knowledge of reading strategies. After the children complete the 12 lessons and four review lessons, the children will begin the final review that provides practice in all 12 reading strategies.
- CARS Post Test: Complete the five Post Tests in the same way the children have done for the five Pretests. Direct the children to their Child Progress Chart so they can see an overview of their progress from Pretests to Benchmarks to Post Tests. The children can also review their overall star rating.
In each section there is a button that indicates whether they have started their reading tests.
- Get Started indicates that the children have not started their reading levels yet.
- Continue indicates that the children are in the process of doing that part of the reading level.
- Review indicates that the children have fully completed their whole reading level for that section.