Follow the three steps process to import new students using a single spreadsheet. You may wish to speak to your school administration/enrolment staff, as this limited data can be easily extracted out from your school administration system.
STEP 1: INSTRUCTIONS TO FILL STUDENT SPREADSHEET
- Download a blank student template by selecting ‘Students’ and choose "Import Students" from the menu on the left-hand side and click "Download Student Template".
- Do not delete any rows from the downloaded template.
- All classes need to be created in the CARS & STARS Online school account before you import new students.
- Begin entering user data in the fifth row (cell A5).
- All fields are required and please ensure that all columns do not contain any special or illegal characters (' " `).
- One column at a time, fill in/copy and paste from the school database the FIRST NAME, LAST NAME, GENDER, YEAR OF BIRTH and CLASS column details into the spreadsheet template.
- You may also fill in the non-mandatory STUDENT UNIQUE IDENTIFIER column if your school requires data cross-referencing with CARS & STARS Online and/or to import multiple students with similar names in your school (e.g., John Alex and John Alexis), the Student Unique Identifier should be provided. This could be the student ID from a school management system (Schoology, Sentral, Schoolbox or Canvas), student DET/DoE email address or a school-issued student ID (non-government).
- If you have not provided the Student Unique Identifier, this column should be filled in as N/A.
- Only letters, numbers, hyphens, underscores and an email symbol are allowed for Student Unique Identifier.
- If a student belongs to multiple classes, enter all the relevant class names, each separated by commas. (e.g., Room 1, Room 2)
- If a student is not assigned to any classes, the CLASS column should be filled in as N/A.
STEP 2: INSTRUCTIONS TO FILL SUBSCRIPTION COLUMN
- For free trial accounts, fill in the SUBSCRIPTION TYPE as CS-TA for CARS & STARS and/or FR-TA for FOCUS Reading modules. (e.g., CS-TA, FR-TA)
- Each CARS & STARS Online student subscription consists of a combination of the modules (CARS & STARS and FOCUS Reading), and the subscription type, which is based on duration (3-, 6- and 12-months). You can assign the relevant subscription(s) to students by filling in the SUBSCRIPTION TYPE for each module, separated by commas.
- For a CARS & STARS subscription, SUBSCRIPTION TYPE should be entered as CS-3M, CS-6M or CS-12M with the number indicating duration. FOCUS Reading subscriptions should be entered as FR-3M, FR-6M or FR-12M in the same way. You can have a CS-3M and a FR-3M for a single student, but not two subscriptions for the same module (e.g., a CS-12M and a CS-3M subscription) for the same student at the same time. For a CARS & STARS + FOCUS Reading bundled subscription, this should be entered as CS-FR-3M, CS-FR-6M or CS-FR-12M.
- For a virtual account, the SUBSCRIPTION TYPE should be VA. The virtual account is utilised for manual recording, and the students will not be given an access code. To learn more click here.
STEP 3: INSTRUCTIONS TO UPLOAD STUDENT SPREADSHEET
- Save your updated spreadsheet to your computer as a .xlsx file.
- Navigate to 'Students' from the menu on the left-hand side and select "Import Students".
- Under the Student Details File section, click the select file option to locate the .xlsx file on your computer and click Upload.
- If the validation failed and any errors are detected in the spreadsheet, you may download the error details spreadsheet and rectify the highlighted errors marked in red and try uploading again. After downloading the error details spreadsheet, you may find more information on the error by clicking on the highlighted cells.
- If you require any further assistance or have any questions, please submit a support ticket, click here. You may also attach the student template to the support ticket.