Follow the three steps process to replace existing students with new students using a single spreadsheet. You may wish to speak to your school administration/enrolment staff, as this limited data can be easily extracted out from your school administration system.
STEP 1: DOWNLOAD EXISTING STUDENT DATA
- Log in to your CARS & STARS Online School Administration account.
- Select "My Account" from the menu on the left-hand side and navigate to "Download Student Data" and click Download.
- Download your existing student school data, you can choose to include or exclude discontinued students. Note: It’s always recommended to select All (excl. Discontinued Students) to exclude the students who left school.
- Existing Student Data - Account Status and Subscription Expiry Date columns colour codes are as follows,
ACTIVE - Green; EXPIRED - Red; DISCONTINUED - Yellow; INACTIVE - Orange; VIRTUAL - Blue; and DELETED - Grey.
- Existing Student Data - Subscription Type column colour codes are as follows,
Paid Subscription - Green; Trial Subscription - Yellow; VIRTUAL - Blue; and DELETED - Grey.
STEP 2: INSTRUCTIONS TO FILL IN REPLACEMENT STUDENT SPREADSHEET
- Download a blank student replacement template click here.
- Do not delete any rows from the downloaded template.
- All classes need to be created in the CARS & STARS Online school account before you import new students.
- Begin entering user data in the fifth row (cell A5).
- Please ensure all columns do not contain illegal characters (' " `).
- One column at a time, copy and paste the DATABASE ID, EXISTING STUDENT UNIQUE IDENTIFIER, EXISTING STUDENT FIRST NAME and EXISTING STUDENT LAST NAME from the existing student spreadsheet. Note: Do not alter the existing student details fields as they are linked to each user.
- One column at a time, fill in/copy and paste from the school database the FIRST NAME, LAST NAME, GENDER, YEAR OF BIRTH,and NEW CLASS column details for the new students. You’ll simply need to update the formatting to ensure it matches our system.
- You may also fill in the non-mandatory STUDENT UNIQUE IDENTIFIER column if your school requires data cross-referencing with CARS & STARS Online and/or to import multiple students with similar names in your school (e.g., John Alex and John Alexis), the Student Unique Identifier should be provided. This could be the student ID from a school management system (Schoology, Sentral, Schoolbox or Canvas), student DET/DoE email address or a school-issued student ID (non-government).
- Only letters, numbers, hyphens, underscores and an email symbol are allowed for Student Unique Identifier.
- If a student belongs to multiple classes, enter all the relevant class names, each separated by commas. (e.g., Room 1, Room 2)
- If a student is not assigned to any classes, the CLASS column should be filled in as N/A.
STEP 3: SEND STUDENT REPLACEMENT SPREADSHEET
- Save your updated spreadsheet to your computer as a .xlsx file.
- Please send the completed Student Replacement Spreadsheet by submitting a support ticket, click here. We will take the hassle away from you so that you can jump straight to using the program.